Mission impossible bumper repair.

Home / Forums / Main Forum / Gallery / Mission impossible bumper repair.

  • Author
  • February 26, 2012 at 10:47 pm #35997

    I’ve mentioned this repair in Nex’ topic, but rather than clog that one up I’ll start my own.

    A good mate of mine called me and said he’d had a bit of a crash in his freshly painted VW Golf. He’d reversed straight into another car, cracking his prized possession – an Edition 30 rear bumper. Meant nothing to me, but apparently they are very rare, especially in this case as it hasn’t had any of the exhaust holes cut out of it. He did warn me it was bad, but nothing prepared me for this 😆



    Unfortunately the type of plastic meant it wouldn’t hot weld, so I started of by CA gluing it together as a temporary measure, This helped me check that all pieces were present, and would help it to hold it’s shape during the later work



    It was then repaired with Fusor 142 and reinforcing mesh. I kinda stitch welded it – doing a 6″ section then leaving a gap and doing another section. I knew if I tried to do it all at once it’d all go out of shape. Once one lot was fully cured I went back and filled in the gaps. I also filled up the parking sensor holes as he requested, although given his recent crash I wonder if that’s such a good idea! :rofl


    Once that was done I did the outside, and later filled in some depressions with (pink) Fusor 114


    The shape isn’t perfect, but I’ve thrown a couple of coats of epoxy on for now to seal everything up. I’ll block that down and see if it needs any high build later in the week.


    February 26, 2012 at 11:59 pm #35998

    I hope you’re charging for this!! Those tips and fusor packs aren’t cheap. Looks like it is coming along pretty good. I hate fixing cracks.

    February 27, 2012 at 1:13 am #35999

    His exact words were “I don’t care what it costs, can you fix it?” :rofl

    To be honest I don’t always use the mixing tips. For bigger jobs like this I squeeze the tubes straight out onto a board, then mix and apply like filler.

    February 27, 2012 at 3:17 am #36003

    Looks fun. Great job so far :cheers

    March 11, 2012 at 1:08 pm #36276

    Just a small update.

    The epoxy was left for several days, then blocked down with 120 and left for another few days to “breath”. I went back and filled a couple of pinholes with Evercoat Easy Sand, finished with 180 & 240, then shot some high build primer over it.

    That was left for a few days to harden up, then Friday I blocked it down with 320 then 600. It’ll get another couple of days to sit, then a final block down with 800 before paint 🙂


    March 12, 2012 at 4:07 am #36282

    Looks great Andy,you must be a very patient man :cheers

    March 12, 2012 at 11:04 am #36285

    Thanks, but it’s the customer that’s having to be patient on this one. 😆

    I’m just doing a bit on it here and there, in between other stuff.

  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.