What kind of weld is this?

Home / Forums / Main Forum / Auto Body Repair / What kind of weld is this?

  • Author
  • Anonymous
    August 20, 2009 at 10:46 pm #15447


    I have no idea what’s up with this, it’s tacked with a braze an a few spots and the rest seems to be held together some how, any thoughts on what to do with this?

    August 20, 2009 at 11:17 pm #15448

    im seeing alota mudwork in your future :pcorn: my guess is a gas weld?? that volvo seems ta just keep getting better an better :lol1

    August 20, 2009 at 11:26 pm #15449

    Panel spotter?

    August 21, 2009 at 1:46 am #15451

    Kinda looks like a Fish plate repair

    Is there a thin plate behind they laid in too weld too?

    August 21, 2009 at 3:44 am #15463

    That is an old school hammer weld B) Its done by heating the pieces red hot and smashing them together with a hammer and dolly. The brazing was done just to tack it together where he wanted before the hammer weld. Again if this is stuck good leave it, but i would give it a first smudge with reinforced filler such as fibretech by evercoat just to keep that seem from ghosting. Or just go ahead and remove the brass which is very soft-easy to grind out and mig it solid if your not sure.

    August 21, 2009 at 3:57 am #15464

    Learn something new every day. Kewl! :cheer:

    August 21, 2009 at 4:14 am #15466

    Lots of mud work! There’s always surprises with these “classics.”

    reminds me of this nightmare… lost my a$$ on this job…


    August 21, 2009 at 4:17 am #15467

    Damn, Bondo wasn’t kidding when he said how much Mud he put in that one. :woohoo:

    August 21, 2009 at 8:47 am #15474

    run away …run away … :whistle:

    August 31, 2009 at 8:16 pm #15606

    i know what type of weld that is A BAD ONE !!!! lol lol

  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.